Q: How many positive COVID-19 resident and staff cases are there on my loved
one’s household and in the building and how many resident deaths have
occurred as a result of COVID-19?
A: Kirkhaven, like many other Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) in the Rochester area,
across NY State and throughout the United States has been directly impacted by the
Coronavirus, COVID-19 with both staff and resident cases identified to date.
A: We will, in every case of a new positive test result for COVID-19, or significant
change in resident condition; contact by phone those responsible parties of residents
directly affected and those responsible parties whose loved ones reside on the
household impacted – when there is a change in how the individual’s care is provided
or relevant changes in our organization’s policies.
A: We will not be providing all residents and families with updates on every new positive
case (resident or staff) of COVID-19 as we must continue to comply with the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Q: What is the medical treatment for people affected by COVID-19?
A: There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat COVID-19.
• People infected with COVID-19 receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms.
• People infected with COVID-19 are given medicines and treatment for pain, fever, and coughs.
• For severe cases of COVID-19, treatment includes support for vital organ functions.
Q: Can you get COVID-19 from mail packages or imported goods that arrive from
A: No cases of COVID-19 have been reported from packages or imported goods. The
risk of catching COVID-19 from a package that has been moved, travelled, and
exposed to different conditions and temperatures is believed to be low.
• Experts believe there is little or no risk of COVID-19 from shipped products or packages.
• If you think a package may be suspect based on factors like origin, clean it with disinfectant.
• Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds after handling a package.
Q: How can people avoid or reduce social stigma associated with COVID-19?
A: Stigma can be as dangerous as the virus that causes COVID-19.
• Viruses are a threat to all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, or the country one lives in.
• Stigma and discrimination can occur when people associate an infectious disease with a specific geographical region.
• Stigma hurts everyone by creating fear or anger towards ordinary people instead of the virus that is causing the problem.
o Stigmatization of special populations, such as the homeless and non-English speaking people, can spark dangerous incidents.
Q: What cleaning products should I use?
A: Community members can practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces
(for example: tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets,
sinks) with household cleaners and EPA-registered disinfectants that are appropriate
for the surface, following label instructions. Labels contain instructions for safe and
effective use of the cleaning product including precautions you should take when
applying the product, such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good
ventilation during use of the product. See CDC’s Environmental Cleaning and
Disinfection Recommendations for more information.
Individuals may submit their questions to the NYS Department of Health at
email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org