Dear Residents, Families and Employees of Kirkhaven
As the coverage of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) continues and concern over the spread of the virus increases, we want to take a moment to provide you with an update and information about the procedures we have in place here at Kirkhaven.
First, please rest assured that our entire staff is closely monitoring the situation as it continues to unfold. We are and have been in frequent and constant contact with the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) as well as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to get the most up-to-date information and additional guidance from them as details continue to come in.
Kirkhaven maintains a commitment to the highest levels of disease prevention every day, but due to the latest occurrence of COVID-19 virus in Rochester, we are increasing our vigilance and strongly encourage each of you to do the same.
How to Prevent COVID-19
Below are the continued best practices from the CDC to reduce the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol).
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash; if tissues are not available, cough or sneeze into the inside of your elbow, then wash your hands as soon as possible.
- Stay home when you are sick until you have been fever – free (without the use of fever reducing medication) for at least 24 hours.
For more information, we recommend the following resources:
Additional Safety Measures
We have added the additional safety measures below to increase our preparedness and reduce the risk to the Kirkhaven community as much as possible:
We want to emphasize that we have zero cases of Coronavirus at Kirkhaven and have no quarantined staff as of this notice.
- We have made the difficult decision to discontinue all non-essential visits at Kirkhaven, effective immediately until further notice.
- Visitors will only be allowed into the facility if deemed essential or for end-of-life situations. Staff and visitors granted access will be required to go through a screening processes at the front door by a trained employee.
- We are, as best we can, monitoring our resident population for any signs or symptoms of respiratory illnesses that may arise.
- We will report any outbreaks to NYSDOH, per their guidelines and will then notify family members and resident representatives of those affected.
- We have increased the frequency of disinfecting high use areas and have placed alcohol-based hand sanitizer in all public places for use by residents, staff and guests.
- Employees are asked to adhere to our sick and family leave policies. If you think you may be sick or have been in contact with someone who is, please contact your supervisor immediately and stay home.
The health and safety of our residents, staff and community are the highest priority for all of us here at Kirkhaven. We appreciate your diligence and cooperation in keeping our community safe and healthy.
We will continue to monitor this virus and any updates from public health officials. Please monitor our website https://seniorsfirst.com/kirkhaven/ and/or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Nursing-Home/Kirkhaven-168883823126518/ for further updates.
Our clinical team will continue to communicate any changes in condition in accordance with our notification policy. If you have questions about the care of your loved one, please contact your Nurse Manager.
Anne R. Gallese, CEO/Administrator