Dear Residents, Families and Friends of Kirkhaven,
We were informed this morning that one of our employees has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual is asymptomatic, was immediately furloughed and will not return to work until 14 days have passed and a negative COVID-19 result is received. Furthermore, this employee works very infrequently and has been tested weekly when scheduled to work. This employee last worked on October 17th and prior to that on September 26th, providing services to a limited number of residents who reside on the 2nd household.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires testing of all staff and residents for this scenario. To meet the testing requirements, all residents currently in the facility are required to be tested initially upon the identification of a positive staff member or resident, and then again every three (3) to seven (7) days for a fourteen (14) day period.
• Resident testing will be conducted today, October 19th for the 2nd and 3rd households and then again for these residents on Monday, October 26th.
• The 2nd household is now quarantined for 14 days. All staff working on the 2nd household are wearing CDC recommended personal protective equipment (PPE): gowns, gloves, masks and face-shields when providing direct care to residents.
• Testing for residents of the 4th and 5th households will be conducted on Tuesday, October 20th and then again for these residents on Tuesday, October 27th.
• Routine testing of staff continues on a weekly basis in accordance with Governor Cuomo’s extended executive orders.
• We continue to follow rigorous infection prevention and control procedures. These include handwashing and wearing gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Universal masking policies remain in place – all employees must wear a surgical mask in all care areas of our building and when within 6 feet of another individual.
• We remain vigilant with the frequency of disinfecting high use areas and have placed alcohol-based hand sanitizer in resident rooms and common areas for use by residents and staff.
We remain committed to communicating changes in our facility COVID 19 status as well as any adjustments made to our infection control and visitation policy. Unfortunately, due to the one positive case among our staff, all in-person visitation is discontinued immediately.
Zoom, FaceTime and balcony visits are still available by appointment only. Please call your designated Social Worker, the House Manager or email: COVID19info@kirkhaven.com to schedule a virtual visit.
Currently, we do not have any residents presenting with COVID-19 related signs or symptoms. We continue to closely monitor both residents and staff throughout the entire facility for symptoms consistent with COVID-19. Authorized representatives of residents testing positive for COVID-19 will be updated directly by phone upon receipt of positive results, ongoing on a daily basis until recovery and promptly upon a change in the resident’s condition.
In compliance with New York State Department of Health guidelines, we will update residents, authorized family members and guardians once per week on the number of infections and deaths at our facility. Our website (www.kirkhaven.com) and the COVID-19 Status Hotline number below serves to alert family members to any new COVID-19 related bereavements and any test positive cases (resident and staff) at our facility. Authorized family members and guardians of residents who DO NOT have access to the internet may call the following phone number for a recorded status update. COVID-19 Weekly Status Hotline: 1-585-271-1772, Ext. 3085. This information is updated on a weekly basis.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding as we work through the ongoing challenges of this pandemic. We understand this is unsettling news and we want to reassure you that we are taking every necessary, mandated and precautionary action to minimize the risk to our residents and staff and to prevent the spread of COVID-19.