March 9, 2020
Dear Kirkhaven Families and Visitors,
Throughout the last few weeks, the United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and President Trump have spoken extensively about the new coronavirus known as COVID-19. As a result, the media coverage is intensifying and anxiety is rising.
I want to assure you that Kirkhaven has a standardized infectious disease prevention plan in place and will continue to seek the most-up-to-date guidance from the CDC. Our nursing staff and medical providers continue to work in collaboration with the NYS Department of Health and the Monroe County Department of Health.
Please know that the safety of our residents and staff is our top priority. Kirkhaven continues to take precautionary measures, which is standard practice during flu season. At this time, there are no confirmed local cases and no vaccines for COVID-19. The best way to prevent acquiring the virus is to avoid being exposed.
To limit the spread of respiratory illness, the Department of Health recommends the following actions:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
• Use an alcohol- based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with others who are sick.
• Stay home if you are sick.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
• Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
People who think they have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider.
Below are resources with additional information:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
New York State Department of Health: https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/coronavirus/
Travel Advice: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/faqs.html
Prevention and treatment: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/faqs.html
Thank you for your continued cooperation as we work together to ensure the safety of our home and work environment.
Anne R. Gallese, CEO/Administrator